Thursday, December 24, 2009

Praise your team =)

I’ve watched sports my entire life. Football, basketball, baseball and even wrestling were amongst my favorite. After growing up glued to the t.v. I have never found a team/athlete to admire and root for. I have all the love in the world for sports but could never get into it as much as some others. This past year (2009) I have been to more games than any other year of my life. Never was there a time where I would go all out as to purchasing a t-shirt or even screaming at the top of my lungs for an athlete. In any case I would always root for my friends and teammates back in high school and college but of course you are supposed to root for your own team. It’s crazy how dedicated some fans are, even though they boo players when they’re having a bad game they are still loyal to their teams.
This past spring when the recession was getting to be really bad I met a man who was laid off from a bank. Even though he had a kid and wife to take care of, he was so committed to keeping his Yankee season tickets. Now of course when you live in NYC any person would be smart enough to sell the tickets to help out the household. But not this guy, he told me he has been going to games since he was a little kid and those tickets were something he was never going to give up. I admired the passion of course, but a line has to be drawn somewhere. I think people are born into being a fan of a team. When I was growing up my mother was always a 49ers fan so I tried getting into that team and will still claim today “49ers are my favorite team” but it’s not true at all lol.
When parents teach their kids sports they will have them watch a certain team and a kid will pick up on that enthusiasm and dedication. It is sad to me sometimes because I have seen friends of mine suffer an entire weekend or even the Monday at work because their team lost. I can’t be bitter and say “grow up” to these people because I’ve never been involved with a team like that. I admire the fact that I am different in that case because you may not realize it but it saves a hell of a lot of money when you’re not committed to a team. Summing up all this, I just want to say I mostly admire the sports atmosphere with exciting plays, rivalries, upsets ect. Never will I go home unsatisfied after watching two teams compete because it is worth being in that environment with a few beers and $15 sandwiches at hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment